Say Thank you to the people in your community that go that extra mile for others.
The Citizen of the Year Award 2020, sponsored by Furness Building Society, is for those people in your neighbourhood, that give up their time, resources to make sure others benefit from living in a happy and safe community.
You can nominate a person who gives back to the community in any kind of way, from volunteering to raising funds for local projects and groups, voluntarily running centres or charities that benefit the local neighbourhoods or wider communities, helping out neighbours and friends.
The person and the people that benefit from the activities and actions must live in the South Lakes area.
Previous finalists have included:
- Gail O’Neill for fundraising for local charities through running in memory of her family.
- John Murphy for fundraising to set up the local defibrillator project which supplies the town with Emergency Defibrillator locations and equipment.
- Joan Milburn and Irene Crabtree for the decades of fundraising for local charities and awareness building for guide dogs for the blind.
- Lynda Preston for setting up a gardening club at a local primary school and donating her time, knowledge and skills to educate the children about plants and vegetables.
- Joe Wardman for his decades of sitting on the local primary schools board of governors and being a local neighbourhood “go to man” in his shop when people needed a little help and advice.