Say thank you to someone who gives up their free time to volunteer helping with sporting activities.
The Sports Volunteer of the Year Award is for those people who give up their time and resources to help out the local sport groups or individuals in the area for the benefit of the team and participants.
You could nominate a professional coach or someone who gives up their free time to coach any sporting activity to any age of person or group of people both professional or recreational.
The person does not just have to be part of the sport itself, they could be someone who helps with the DIY in the club house or the volunteer who washes the kit or prepares the drinks, organises the activities or takes care of the fund raising and the activity takes place in the South Lakes area.
Previous finalists have included:
- John Sherwen for dedicating his free time to the running of the Canoe Club in Barrow and teaching people the sport,
- John and Claire Greenwood for the setting up of the Walney Wind Cheetahs Cub’s Youth Section to encourage young people to get fit and healthy through running.
- John Jefferson for his years of volunteer coaching of rugby and the continuous support the recent years of the up keep of the club house.
- Ricky Mason for his volunteering of time to run activities for young people with disabilities.
- Stephen Cairns for setting up afterschool sports clubs at the primary school where he teaches and encouraging all pupils to get involved with all sports.
Need some inspiration, check out previous winners and finalists…