Say thank you to someone who teaches you a skill and goes that extra mile to inspire you to be all that you can be.
The Teacher of the Year Award sponsored by BAE Systems is aimed at those people in our community that not only teach others a skill but also go that extra mile to inspire and encourage the students in their studies and life to be all that they can be.
You can nominate a teacher from an educational environment or an informal setting and they can teach any subject or skill. They could be your sports coach, singing teacher, theatre director or dancing instructor.
They could teach you a musical instrument or how to make something, bake something or create something. Your teacher can be any age and the pupil(s) can be any age as long as both are based in the Barrow Borough.
Previous finalists have included:
- Victoria Smith for setting up a after school gymnastics club at the primary school where she worked.
- Lisa Massicks for her efforts in making sure a pupil who was hospitalized with a life threatening illness stayed up to date with school work and passed his exams.
- Graham Barker for giving up his free time to run the A590 theatre group, teaching acting, Dancing and singing to young people in the town.
- Liam Reid & Claire Prosser for creating the first Furness Summer Camp teaching model and teaching the classes over the summer holidays.
- Craig Rutherford for setting up after school clubs in the primary school he taught in, for young children to help build confidence and skills.